Builders Supply Corp., and the company’s passion
for masonry, extends back 20 years before it was created.
Louis E. McAllister, Sr., operated L. E. McAllister
Incorporated Masonry Contractor, in Richmond, Virginia,
starting in 1935. His masons built homes, schools,
churches, corporate office buildings, and many Richmond
landmarks including The Carillon and The Richmond
Museum of Fine Arts. He operated his business and
resided on the south side of the James River, in Chesterfield
County. However, he felt he wasn't being serviced
adequately from existing supply houses and manufacturers,
many of which were located on the other side of the
surging growth in the Richmond metro area after
World War II, the time had come to establish a masonry
supply yard south of the river. In 1953, after providing
startup funding to his son, Louis E. McAllister,
Jr., Southside Builders Supply Corporation was founded
at 54 East Belt Boulevard. The company was operated
at that location until mid-1955 when the current
location, 20 Westover Hills Boulevard, was acquired
from Hindel Farm Equipment Company.
the years Southside Builders Supply became a major
supplier of masonry and drywall products throughout
the Richmond metro area, particularly in the residential
home building market. Mr. McAllister operated the
company until 1975 when he named his son, Robert D.
McAllister, president; his son-in-law Robert T. Griggs,
vice president; and daughter Carol M. Griggs, secretary
treasurer. L.E. McAllister, Jr., remained Chairman
of the Board and oversaw the growth of the company,
and the construction of its office headquarters in
1987, until failing health forced his retirement in
December 1989, Thomas E. Griggs, Mr. McAllister's
grandson, joined the firm and in early 1992 was named
head of sales and marketing. He began developing a
stronger sales force and acquiring new product lines.
In 1995, a commercial sales department was created
to concentrate on architectural and commercial construction
projects in the Central Virginia area. In 1998, Thomas
E. Griggs, was named President and remained head of
sales. Derle D. Dorman, the company’s senior
salesman for 10 years, was named Vice President and
Sales Manager in 2002.
Builders Supply had been a supplier of plaster and
related materials throughout the 1950’s and
became the first in Richmond to deliver “sheetrock”
with specialized boom trucks. However, by the late
90’s, drywall no longer fit with the company’s
“masonry” profile. The decision to eliminate
drywall came as a surprise to many in 1999. That
same year, Southside began designing their first
“Hardscape Idea Garden” featuring concrete
and clay pavers and a variety of segmental retaining
marked the company’s 50th anniversary. Griggs
and Dorman designed and constructed a 2,600 sq.ft.
2-story addition that included a seminar/training
room, an indoor multi-level backyard hardscape display,
and a complete redesign of their existing 3,000
sq.ft. showroom/customer service space.
As Southside Builders Supply expands into other markets,
the focus on our customer will not change. We are
committed to providing our customers with the highest
level of customer service and delivering only the
best quality products and materials. Southside Builders
Supply remains a valuable resource for any residential
or commercial contractor, tradesperson, or homeowner.